Qatar's Trade & Investment Sector
Total stock of FDI in Qatar for 2019
of Qatar’s Total Exports are Mineral fuels
About Qatar's Trade & Investment Sector
Through Qatar’s active membership in the World Trade Organization and flexible business regulations it seeks to attract foreign investors to advance other economic sectors besides the oil and gas industry.
Qatar offers many investment incentives which include the following:
- Low electricity, water, and gas rates
- 100% foreign ownership option
- Nominal lease rate of only 5 Qatari Riyals per square meter per year for industrial land sites for the first three years from site assignment and project operation, after which lease rate will increase to 10 Qatari Riyals
- Exemption from import taxes on heavy duty machinery and their spare parts and raw materials; exemption from import taxes
- Unlimited quantities of imported materials
- No restrictions on money exchange and transfer of profits abroad
- Flexible regulations and procedures to import skilled and unskilled workforce.
Non-Qatari investors are able to invest in all fields in the following sectors: Agriculture, Industry, Health, Education, Tourism, Development and utilization of natural resources, Mining, Consultation services, Information technology, Cultural services, Artwork services, Sports services, and Entertainment services. In regards to the banking sector, it is possible to establish a bank if approved by the Council of Ministers. Non-Qatari nationals are also able to own real estate in certain locations of the country, which is a rarity for the Gulf region.